Prayer #1 — Collect for the 5th Sunday After the Epiphan (BCP 216):
Set us free, O God, from the bondage of our sins, and give us the liberty of that abundant life which you have made known to us in your Son our Savior Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
Prayer #2 — (BCP):
Prayer #3 — “And Can It Be That I Should Gain” (Charles Wesley):
1. And can it be that I should gain an interest in the Savior’s blood! Died he for me? who caused his pain! For me? who him to death pursued? Amazing love! How can it be that thou, my God, shouldst die for me? Amazing love! How can it be that thou, my God, shouldst die for me? // 2. ‘Tis mystery all: th’ Immortal dies! Who can explore his strange design? In vain the firstborn seraph tries to sound the depths of love divine. ‘Tis mercy all! Let earth adore; let angel minds inquire no more. ‘Tis mercy all! Let earth adore; let angel minds inquire no more. // 3. He left his Father’s throne above (so free, so infinite his grace!), emptied himself of all but love, and bled for Adam’s helpless race. ‘Tis mercy all, immense and free, for O my God, it found out me! ‘Tis mercy all, immense and free, for O my God, it found out me! // 4. Long my imprisoned sprit lay, fast bound in sin and nature’s night; thine eye diffused a quickening ray; I woke, the dungeon flamed with light; my chains fell off, my heart was free, I rose, went forth, and followed thee. My chains fell off, my heart was free, I rose, went forth, and followed thee. // 5. No condemnation now I dread; Jesus, and all in him, is mine; alive in him, my living Head, and clothed in righteousness divine, bold I approach th’ eternal throne, and claim the crown, through Christ my own. Bold I approach th’ eternal throne, and claim the crown, through Christ my own. (Lyrics & Music)
Thanks to HymnSite.com for providing this public domain midi file and text.
Covenant Group Guidelines:
1. What was your devotional life like this week? How did God use the Scriptures in your life? What prayers or readings were significant for you?
2. When did you feel closest to Christ this week?
3. How did you fail Christ as his disciple this week?
4. What story could you share of growth and faithfulness in following Jesus?
5. How could we best pray for you regarding your walk with Christ as his faithful follower?