Prayer #1 — Prayer for the Last Sunday After the Epiphany – Transfiguration (BCP 217):
O God, who before the passion of your only-begotten Son revealed his glory upon the holy mountain: Grant to us that we, beholding by faith the light of his countenance, may be strengthened to bear our cross, and be changed into his likeness from glory to glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Prayer #2 — Prayer for Ash Wednesday (BCP 217):
Almighty and everlasting God, you hate nothing you have made and forgive the sins of all who are penitent: Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily lamenting our sins and acknowledging our wretchedness, may obtain of you, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Prayer #3 — “Praise the Lord Who Reigns Above” (Charles Wesley):
1. Praise the Lord who reigns above and keeps his court below; praise the holy God of love and all his greatness show; praise him for his noble deeds, praise him for his matchless power; him from whom all good proceeds let earth and heaven adore. // 2. Celebrate th’ eternal God with harp and psaltery, timbrels soft and cymbals loud in this high praise agree; praise with every tuneful string; all the reach of heavenly art, all the powers of music bring, the music of the heart. // 3. God, in whom they move and live, let every creature sing, glory to their Maker give, and homage to their King. Hallowed be thy name beneath, as in heaven on earth adored; praise the Lord in every breath, let all things praise the Lord. (Lyrics & Music)
Thanks to HymnSite.com for providing this public domain midi file and text.
Covenant Group Guidelines:
1. What was your devotional life like this week? How did God use the Scriptures in your life? What prayers or readings were significant for you?
2. When did you feel closest to Christ this week?
3. How did you fail Christ as his disciple this week?
4. What story could you share of growth and faithfulness in following Jesus?
5. How could we best pray for you regarding your walk with Christ as his faithful follower?